Saturday, May 23, 2015

Quilting Happiness

Last week I had just a really fun time quilting! Most of the quilts I quilt are fun, but this one was just a joy!


I had this Metro Rings Quilt on hand for several weeks before I started on it because I had signed up to take a quilting class from Helen Robinson and Jenny Pedigo of Sew Kind of Wonderful at the Home Machine Quilting Show in Salt Lake City.  It was a good move to wait, on my part, because I gleaned the knowledge they presented in class. And best of all, I bought the Quick Curve ruler (for quilters) which tracks fairly closely to the curves in the rings. With the ruler, I was able to quilt rings to my heart's content, echo them, and move on to make even more rings. Talk about fun!



This quilt, sent to me by Shanna of Fiber of All Sorts, has the perfect amount of negative space to create some gorgeous designs. See? Fun, fun!

The backside

I used a double layer of batting. All I had on hand was Hobbs 80/20, so I just doubled up on that.  It gave a great texture and shows the relief around the rings. And it's quilted with Fil-Tec's Glide, which gives it a nice sheen.



All in all, there are an estimated 4,220 pebbles floating throughout this piece. OMG - around, and around, and around, and around! But hey - who's counting?


 Now I have the bug to make a Christmas quilt just like this for myself. Hmmm....one of these years....

This is why I quilt with a smile,
Barb

26 comments:

  1. Beautiful Barb! Your quilting is stunning. I aspire to quilt like you some day. Guess I had better get me one of those rulers so I can start practicing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really lovely. The quilting is a great compliment to the design!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just beautiful!! Been wanting to make one of these, I think yours has sold me,

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't fathom how much skill and time went into this! The quilting really makes the quilt POP. Glad you got some inspiration from the class you took; always nice to know that it was worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is absolutely gorgeous. The quilting really enhances the quilt, and makes the shapes stand out. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did it!!! It looks absolutely awesome Barb!!!! Loads of happiness for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing quilting, gorgeous quilt! I love everything about it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG! That is a stunning quilt....your detailed quilting brings the pattern to life!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Work of art, modestly! I'm in awe of your patience. It's a masterpiece.

    Julie @ Pink Doxies

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely gorgeous quilt with all that quilting. Kudos to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my stars how gorgeous is that! You did a wonderful job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I bought the ruler at HMQS, too! So excited to use it. Such a beautiful quilt and stunning quilting. Fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. stunning! I just purchased that ruler, too. I wish I would have had it when I quilted a Metro Rings - I'll use it on mine! Such beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thatsalottapebbles!!! Nice job on the quilt - it looks beautiful. And, you should maybe get a commission - I didn't know there was a set of longarm rulers available until you mentioned them. I can't wait to get my hands on them!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Coming to you a little--late!! This just stunning the quilt and the quilting are prefect together! BRAVO!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Spectacular! I tried pebbles once - hated it. Oh, but they do look lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, Barb! This is just smashing! Is it OK with you if I try to emulate the motif work on one of my own quilts?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your quilting is outstanding! I just can't hardly peel my eyes away from it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is absolutely beautiful!! I love the quilting you have done on it - I have a DWR cut out ready to piece so will have to come back here for inspiration when I get to the quilting stage!

    ReplyDelete
  20. WOW!!!!! THIS IS GORGEOUS!! I saw it come up in "Popular Posts" and had to check it out. The picture was to beautiful how could I not?

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear your thoughts!

Remembering All The Little Things

I have let my blog side away in lieu of posting photos and updates over on Instagram. For me, it takes less time, and is a faster way to doc...