Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Hands2Help Charity Quilt to Gift

This spring I decided to participate in the Hands2Help Charity Quilt Challenge 2014. There were three great charities which we could donate a quilt, and since cancer has been such a dreadful part of my family history, I decided I'd make a child's quilt for the Happy Chemo group.


This was one of the first quilts I made. Pretty simple.  But it has that really soft Minky backing that makes it perfect for snuggling. Or for a child to cuddle into and feel warm. And cozy. I want to say feel safe, but I dare not go that far for a child with cancer. After all, quilts can only provide little bits of comfort.


It will be a good quilt for the right family.


The colors have always reminded me of a Western theme. Maybe it's those curliques in the red that remind me of lassos?

I am looking forward to seeing what everyone else has come up with for their donations. 

Definitely quilting with a smile!
Barb

11 comments:

  1. Mine was in the mail yesterday to Happy Chemo as well. The minky will make yours especially comfy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that quilt and I am sure whoever is lucky to get it will love it. Thanks for sharing. Susie x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simple patchwork makes the best quilts. That minky on the back will add even more comfort to the quilt. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks warm and cozy. :) I am sure it will be well loved. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is definitely a cuddly comforting quilt! Just wondering, did you tack it anywhere throughout or did you let the topstitching hold the layers together? and is there a batting layer? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You had a eye for color when you first started to quilt! Someone is going to be very Happy! My mother our Charity Comm. leader this year. Since January I have quilted 12 for her, I made one from scratch and have 6 more of hers to quilt--they are piling up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have a group here that makes almost lap sized quilts for chemo patients but they are mostly adults. I used to make smocked gowns for babies that were born dead (so they were presented to the parents better than a blanket) and it was always sad making them. I have never used minky before, great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never used minky as a backing, is it hard to work with? The quilt is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh there's nothing better than a quilt with a minky backing. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Barb, that is a beautiful quilt, sure to make some child feel happy and loved! Thank you so much for participating in the Challenge this year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The minky backing will really make it cozy. Great fabric choices.

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear your thoughts!

Remembering All The Little Things

I have let my blog side away in lieu of posting photos and updates over on Instagram. For me, it takes less time, and is a faster way to doc...